Monday, July 9, 2012

This & That

I can’t imagine how writers do it.  I sit down to write 1 post, and can barely figure out where to begin.  Oh well, I guess that’s why I’m not a writer, huh? ;) 

We had a great weekend … we got to see some very dear friends that we hadn’t seen in 2 years. (much, MUCH too long!)  Chris, Pam & the kids had a wedding nearby on Friday, so since they were in the area, we got to see them on Saturday.  They stopped by the house for a while, and then we went and had lunch. Brett decided to stay home because he’s been feeling a little under the weather, so that was a bummer!

IMG_0645 IMG_0649

I just love how God puts people in your life when you need them.  The time spent with these guys (although it was short) was exactly what I needed!  Thank you God, for wonderful friends, and for great timing!

Brett was still not feeling well by evening, so Matt & Trevor went to the Figure 8 races – and I stayed home with Brett & Eli.  It turned out to be a spaghetti & movie night (well, toast for Brett), and that was a great thing too!  Eli spent some time in the little-ish pool in our backyard, and he loved every minute.  Hard to imagine since until now, he has always been perfectly content on the OUTSIDE of any water – and never really liked being IN it.  (most likely got that from his mom!)

IMG_0654IMG_0669 

On Sunday, we had an awesome church service in the morning.  Pastor Joel filled in for Pastor Mark, and he just had a great message!  Some parts of it were so sad because the topic was ‘death’ – but every time he turned it around so that he spoke about how we are alive in Jesus.  So many in our church family have experienced the death of a loved one in recent weeks/months – so he wanted to give them some comfort.  Funny thing is, even though my dad has been gone for almost 5 years (incredibly hard to believe!) – this sermon touched me deeply as well.  Sometimes it’s just so unexpected when that wave of grief will still hit – and I’ll be honest, it happens a lot.  But God is always faithful, and I am comforted by something I read, or a song I hear, or whatever else He chooses to use.  Anyway, it was just a great service.  I wish I could be that good at teaching life lessons to my boys.  I always feel like I am tripping all over my words, and they’ll never get anything good from it.  I know that’s exaggerating, but I just really, really want for Matt and me to be good parents who teach our kids the right stuff.

Okay, moving on. :)  In the afternoon, we took the kids to Sioux City where we surprised them with tickets to the Bandits football game.  They were SO excited!  We have been wanting to go for a couple of years (since we had never seen an indoor league game), but just never made it work. We rarely get to do stuff like this, so it was such a fun treat!  It was a play-off game, so that was cool!  Brett & Trevor loved every minute of it – but Eli ended up falling asleep.  Guess he wasn’t as thrilled as I thought! ;)

P1120260P1120275

The Bandits ended up winning the game 61-28 (against the Mid-MO Outlaws), so at least we were cheering for the winning team!

It was just a great weekend to hang out as a family (and friends!).  Here’s to a lot more wonderful memories!!  SO blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment